11.18.2011

Welcome to Transplant

At nine this morning I was admitted to the Blood and Marrow Transplant Unit on the eighth floor of LDS Hospital. Laraine came with me as usual, but Annie came as well, and was able to stay for a while. I was soon visited by all the usual team members: nurse manager, nurse, nurse assistant, physicians assistant, dietitian, social worker, respiratory therapist, and one or two others I can't remember. They are all very nice and want to help any way they can, but really there's not much they can do. 

Jeff's first nurse, Tony and Annie on admit day to the transplant unit at LDS Hospital
  

I have a nice room, though these are not as spacious as the ones at Intermountain Medical Center. I have an eastern view, which though it is pretty, faces the cursed block "U". I can see the Huntsman Cancer Institute and Primary Children's Medical Center, where my daughter Emily works. 


After we got settled, Laraine and I took a stroll around the floor. Each time I leave the room, I must wear a special mask, a gown, and gloves. And of course, I have to drag along the little wheeled coat rack that holds my liquid medications; I'm on a constant saline drip. They want a torrent of water going through me in preparation for the chemo. 

Taking a stroll around the unit wearing all the protective gear.
  

They have room service here. Rather than send up set meals at set times, I just call and order what I want when I want it. The trouble is, left to myself I don't eat very much, and they want me to consume a lot of calories and proteins. I have done my best--a big lunch and a big dinner, about twice what I'm used to eating. 

First meal in the hospital before food started tasting weird.

I got my first dose of chemo this afternoon, just as Emily arrived. They had me chew chipped ice before, during, and after the chemo, since studies have shown that it reduces the mouth sores that usually follow. The chemo itself (Malphalan) was uneventful. It was delivered via my central line over about 25 minutes. I shouldn't feel the bad side effects until sometime next week. 



Triple lumen central line, for chemo, blood and antibiotics!
 

 Brandon, Brad, and Libby have joined Laraine and Emily here in my room to glut themselves on Cafe Rio. I thought I would be more quarantined than this, but I'm glad for the company.



2 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you and your family this evening. I'm saddened to hear what you are all going through. Love to you! Michelle Davis Weller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeff and Laraine,
    If it feels long to me that you've been in this nightmare, I can't imagine how it feels to you. Laraine, thankyou for your updates. We are so very anxious about both of you, but are kind of reluctant to call for fear of disturbing precious sleep. We love you and continue to pray for you. Jack, Linda and Grandma

    ReplyDelete