9.17.2012

Lots of testing this week. Dr. Hales, my primary care physician, had me get a CT scan on Thursday, to try to figure out what was causing the pain in my back. Then Friday morning I underwent what is called a skeletal survey, about thirty-odd x-rays of my entire skeleton. This had been ordered by my oncologist, Dr. Nibley, who is also concerned about my back, but also wanted to know if there was any increase in cancer-related damage to my bones. While I was in the clinic, I also got my regular blood tests, and my quarterly infusion of Zometa, an osteoporosis medicine to strengthen my bones.

The result of the CT scan and the skeletal survey is that there was nothing to indicate any source of the pain in my back. I have a little degeneration in the spine, probably due to my age. I also found out I had two fractures that I didn't  know about, in one of my ribs and in my pelvis. Both apparently are healed. My guess is that they were caused partly by the damage to my bones from the myeloma, but I have no idea when I got them.

The blood work showed that, as usual, the Revlimid therapy I take has suppressed my immune system, and depleted my red blood cells, perpetuating my anemia. I am off Revlimid this week, which is part of my regimen: 21 days on and 7 days off. I will meet with Dr. Nibley this week to decide what to do differently, if anything. As far as the cancer markers, which indicate how active the cancer is, that test has to be sent out to another lab, so I won't get those results for a day or two.

Every Friday morning I take dexamethasone, a steroid that is part of my cancer treatment regimen. I noticed two Fridays ago that I had no back pain all that day, after taking the "dex", but the pain returned part way through the next day. This last Friday, however, the pain went away and never came back. So I'm guessing the dex has somehow cured the cause of the pain, or at least masked the pain. Either way, I am really grateful. The pain was very debilitating; it gave me real empathy and compassion for those who suffer chronic back pain.

I just got a great call from my good friend Lee Taylor, from my graduating class at Springville High. Lee looks after all of us and keeps the class together, a "calling" he selflessly took upon himself years ago and has carried out faithfully ever since. He travels widely and always makes a point of visiting any class member who happens to be in his path. He's a great guy.

I'm headed to St. George this week to see my brother Mike and my sister Suzanne and to see "Aladdin". My next post will be from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment