6.08.2013

Almost There

It is 11 days since my last post and I'm happy to tell you I am much improved. I am out of that dark place I was in and almost back to normal. This is day +19 since my transplant and I am still here in Huntsman Cancer Hospital, although I just received news that I will be going home tomorrow.

I might normally have been home by now but for two reasons. First, I developed a common reaction called engraftment syndrome where the body overreacts to the re-implanted stem cells. The syndrome's two symptoms are fever and rash. They've kept me here to treat the rash and to make sure the fever I had doesn't come from a new bacterial or viral infection, rather than from the syndrome.

The other reason I'm still here is that I have engrafted quite slowly, that is, my re-implanted cells have been slow to take hold and start regrowing. This can be common with second transplants, like I'm going through, but it also could just be my own individual health and genetic make up. Nevertheless, my cells finally kicked in and are growing leaps and bounds.

Aside from my slow stem cells, I have progressed normally. I am eating and drinking enough and my vital signs are staying within acceptable ranges, although there is some concern about my heart. Being a runner and a biker I never thought I would have heart issues, but during the last two years either the cancer or the treatments have caused some problems. My heart is still strong; the issues are with the electrical system and the timing of heart beats (arrhythmia). My pulse can range--within a few hours--from the low 40's to the 130's with no apparent reason, without my doing anything. It's not dangerous at this point but the U of U cardiologists will continue to watch me, and perhaps suggest some ongoing maintenance treatment.

Hospital life is never desirable, but the staff here at Huntsman have been just wonderful at trying to make my time here as pleasant as possible. They have worked hard at filling my every need, watching over me, being cheerful and encouraging, and always acting very professionally. I owe them a lot.

My goal now is to go home and regain the strength I have lost by being cooped up here is this one room for over three weeks. Hopefully that's where my next post will be from--HOME! Deep and sincere thanks again to all who have visited, called, prayed, and otherwise supported and encouraged me. I love you all so much.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, the timing of my trip to Salt Lake, Heber and Francis was such that you were not feeling well while I was there, so I didn't get to see you. I would have loved to, and hopefully I will be able to come north again soon. I am sooooo happy to hear that you are feeling better. I hope and pray that you have many wonderful days ahead of you to spend with your family. It is so nice to know that Heavenly Father is in charge, and whatever the timing, it will be with His wisdom and love.

    I love you and your family very much.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete